Thyroid dysfunction affects an estimated 20 million Americans and more than half of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition. Women, especially after menopause, are more likely than men to have hypothyroid (low thyroid function) which may put them at risk for serious conditions such as cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis. Low thyroid may also be a culprit for many women experiencing the heartache of infertility.
A few symptoms of low thyroid include the following
- Weight gain
- Scalp hair loss
- Loss of the outer third of the eyebrows
- Cold intolerance and/or low body temperature
- Brain fog
- And about 50 more…
A few symptoms of high thyroid include the following
- Rapid pulse and/or high blood pressure
- Weight loss and/or difficulty in gaining weight
- Bulging eyes
- Crippling panic attacks
- Persistent diarrhea
- Extreme muscle fatigue
- Can lead to thyroid toxicosis which is a medical emergency
- Interesting fact: cats are prone to hyperthyroidism. We work with several veterinarians to compound topical medications for “purr-babies”
How Can Compounds Help?
There are several thyroid medications available through standard pharmaceutical companies. However, there is a subset of patients that need specialized dosing which requires a skilled compounder. Standard glandular thyroid medications contain a fixed ratio of T3 and T4 which may not be adequate for reaching optimal thyroid levels. Likewise, the fillers, coatings and colorings found in commercial products may cause issues in sensitive patients. This is where compounding really comes to the rescue for thyroid patients. The pharmacists at Abrams Royal Pharmacy specialize in not only customizing thyroid dosing, but in compounding medications free of common allergens like soy, wheat/gluten and dyes.